Wednesday, December 15, 2010

the ten commandments {nana's version}

My mother recently wrote out a summary of the 10 Commandments for my nephew who is 11.  I just love what she wrote and wanted to share it with you.  maybe you can use it to explain and teach them to your kids too...
(Exodus 20:1-18)  THE TEN COMMANDMENTS  (Nanna's version)
Because I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery:
(verse 3), Commandment #1:  "You shall have no other gods before me."  (verses 4-6 explain why.)
(verse 4):  Commandment #2: ."You shall not make for yourself an idol out of gold or silver, and worship THEM. (I am the only true God...even if you can't see me with your human eyes.  HAVE FAITH.  I AM HERE.)
(verse 7):  Commandment #3: "Do not use My name as a swear word."  (find crazy alternatives.  make your friends laugh.  God will laugh with you!...and honor you.) ("Oh, beeswax!")
(verse 8):  Commandment #4: "Keep My Day Holy." (God said, I made 7 days in every week.  (See Genesis 1.) I give you six days for yourself, and I ask you to give me just a part of one day, to worship me.  (Go to church.) I made the world in 6 days, and I rested on the 7th.  That's My example to my people I created.)
(verse 12): Commandment #5:  " Honor your father and mother."  (God will honor YOU, and will help you honor THEM.)
(verse 13):  Commandment #6:  "You shall not murder."  (That also means "killing" another's reputation by saying bad things about them.  God has helped me keep my mouth shut.  and you will become known for being  "the good guy"...and you'll be amazed at the good things people will do for you when they know they can trust you.)
(verse 14):  Commandment #7:  "You shall not make love to another man's wife."  Period.  (PRAY like crazy.  Quote all the Scripture you know.  Learn MORE Scripture!)
(verse 15):  Commandment #8:  "Do not steal."  (It's VERY painful to have to make it right:  to admit it...to return it...to pay it back.  Better to have the strength to cut your fingers off!  (Kidding.  Kind of.)
(verse 16):  Commandment #9:  "Do not lie". (How come we ALWAYS get caught...some time, in some way...and it's terribly embarrassing.  FAR better to be brave up front.  You can do it, Roy.  (It may take THE MOST COURAGE OF ANY OF THE ABOVE!  At least, for me.)
(verse 17):  Commandment #10:  "Do not envy what others have."  (No...THAT one is the hardest one!  Being satisfied with what God has given YOU:  YOUR body.  YOUR family.  YOUR brain (or lack of it.)  YOUR clothes...and being THANKFUL.  We have so much more than so many others.  I think God was also saying, "THANK ME, folks!  I appreciate GRATITUDE!  I LOVE it when you praise ME and THANK me!
Go for it, my little man...and thanks for giving me an excuse to write to you.!!!!  Love, Nanna (December 14, 2010)

No comments: