Wednesday, March 30, 2011

rise

my mom used to say..."your day begins the night before".  in other words, plan out the details of your day before the day begins. that way, you're aware of what needs to be done and you're better equipped to accomplish your goals and tasks.  i've heard it most of my life, i've even said it to my kids (and husband!), i know it's true...so i don't understand why it is such a difficult concept to fully and permanently implement into my life?  maybe it's because i'm just one of those creative types that gets a second wind of inspiration at night...usually late at night... and all of a sudden i'm just not ready to sleep.  which snowballs into not getting up when the alarm goes off, which leads to a rushed morning which leads to tasks left undone, which leads to an utter disappointment in yourself by days end, which leads to a lot of should-haves and next-times hovering like black clouds in your brain.
number 5, of my 11, resolution for this year is Rise.  the reason my mom used to tell me the thing about planning out your day the night before is because it's always been a struggle for me.  i truly believe that if i were to look at that struggle through the lens of the spiritual realm, i'd see the enemy consistently working at keeping me dreaming, sleeping, and probably snoring. i've made it easy for him.  it's not something i'm proud of, but it is an area of my life...and i hope i'm not alone here... that i want to surrender to the Lord this year in the hope that he will redeem those wasted hours.
Mark 1:35 says... that 'very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed'.  the fact that Jesus himself did this tells me its an important thing to do.  now, i'm not saying that a time alone with God absolutely MUST take place in the morning.  i'm one of those creative-second-wind-at-night-types, remember! but i know from experience that if i squander my precious minutes in the morning doing chores, checking email etc, i rarely get them back later in the day.  and though i do like to stay up late, i've learned that if i wait until bedtime to read my Bible and pray, chances of me falling asleep are pretty good.
so, my goal with this Rise resolution is to #1, finally follow my mothers advice consistently and plan out my day the night before. and #2, RISE at the sound of the alarm, which usually is the sound of Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary or Phil Wickham, and that helps!

No comments: