Friday, September 16, 2011

birthday blessings

so my birthday was this past week. you have to know something...  i. love. birthdays.  well, celebrations of any kind, really.  i like dressing up, i like making other people dress up. i just think parties are fun!!
this year i am having a belated co-celebration/collaboration with another girlfriend whose birthday is close to mine.  we were born in the same year, as well as the same month, which, i don't know, i think brings a heightened sense of camaraderie.

one of the reasons for the delay in celebration was the fact that i was 'working' on my birthday this year.  since i now share the day of my birth with a day of national disaster, 9/11, it's just the way it goes.  and i must say that i was SO honored to be a part of the 9/11 10 year anniversary concert/event in Rancho Santa Fe, CA at Horizon Christian Fellowship.  i love the people, pastor and purpose of that place!

on monday, as i began my journey home, i began to check my email and facebook and listen to voicemails. i found an absolutely astounding amount of messages from friends, fans and family that literally brought me to tears.  i was...i am...totally overwhelmed by the encouragement and love i received.

i just started a study in the book of Colossians.  the very first lesson takes a look at Pauls encouragement of the believers in Colossae.  he started out building them up, telling them that he'd been praying for them, expressing his approval of their faith and love toward others.  that is what so many of my friends and family did for me!  built me up! loved me, even from a distance.  i want to be that kind of friend.  i want to be a diligent encourager.  seeing the good, edifying, building up, praying with, loving.  knowing that we can all benefit from a sweet word.

Proverbs 16:24 'kind words are like honey--sweet to the soul, healthy for the body'

this was my 40th bday: 80's prom

2 comments:

Alison said...

Happy belated, Crystal. The gift of encouragement is powerful and life-changing! Glad to see that you use and appreciate. Love the blog!

Confiado915 said...

You are awesome and I am sure God is way awesome in you!