Thursday, March 8, 2012

proverbs {paraphrased}

proverbs 10:17 {amplified Bible}

'he who heeds instruction and correction is {not only himself} in the way of life {but also} is a way of life for others.  and he who neglects or refuses reproof {not only himself} goes astray {but also} causes to err and is a path toward ruin for others'

when i diligently display obedience in my life, when i allow and accept rebuke, when i'm willing to alter my course according to constructive criticism, i'm opening my heart and mind up to growth, maturation, improvement and increase. i have the opportunity to be an example to all around me, inspiring others to keep on track.

when, however, i evade what i assume to be confrontation, when i become defensive, when i strike back at suggestions, when i make excuses and turn a deaf ear to wisdom, i am not only falling off of the straight path, and therefore doing myself great harm,  but i'm pulling others into the pit with me.  my influence, good or bad, right or wrong, is seen by all, studied by some, and similarly duplicated by those closest to me.

No comments: