Friday, August 14, 2009

my way

so, i've been asking my husband to do a couple of things around the house for a while now.  he's busy, i realize, but this stuff needs to get done. i need to cross it off my list...
so finally, today, he chooses to  get one of the 'chores' done for me.  the job he has so dutifully decided to perform, without drudgery i might add, is hanging a mirror in our bathroom.  we recently did a bit of remodeling and we have not had a mirror hanging over the sinks for a couple of months.  it sounds simple perhaps, however it's still tedious and requires the use of drills and gadgets and tools.  not something i care to, or can, do.   he decides to take on this task this morning. so, as i'm attempting to have a nice quiet time in the Word, the incessant banging and drilling begin.  quite comical really.  and then he starts in with the..." can you come help me with this for a minute..." .  i must have left what i was doing 5 times at least to eyeball this and confirm that.  but you know what, it got done.  not exactly according to my timing or executed according to my plan.  but it was accomplished.
this little moment in my marriage made me think of a familiar verse in Isaiah.
' "for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways", declares the LORD.  "as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  '  (Isaiah 55:8-9)
in other words, God's way of doing things, all things, is perfect.  and His timing is right.  whether it's according to our specifications or not.  whether His Method of Operation is 'up to our standards' or not.  Proverbs 16:9 says..."in his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." and in verse 25 it says..." there is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."  death!! that leads me to believe that God is dead serious about us listening to Him, obeying Him, and letting Him lead the way.
this concept is often difficult for me to accept.  as the first born of three daughters (ie; the bossy one), i'm used to being in charge, or at least wanting to be.  relinquishing control does not come easily for me, and yet time and time again God says to me..."relax! i don't want to boss you around, i want the very best for you.  i love you. trust me, i'm always right."
ok then.  let's do it your way!

No comments: