Wednesday, February 18, 2009

whiter than snow

Psalm 51

(abbreviated, abridged, my adaptation; the message and NIV)

"...generous in love--God, give grace!  huge in mercy--wipe out my bad record.  scrub away my guilt, soak out my sins in your laundry.  i know how bad i've been; my sins are staring me right in the face.

YOU, oh God, are the one i've violated, and you've seen it all,  you've seen the full extent of my evil, my mistakes.  you have all the facts before you; and whatever you decide about me is fair...i'll accept my punishment.  i've been out of step with you for a long time, in the wrong since before i was born.  deep down in my heart i know what you're after...and if i'm truly humble and willing to surrender i can give it to you... it's truth from the inside out.  oh Father, enter in to my heart, take me over completely...

clean me with hyssop, and i will be clean; wash me and i will be whiter than snow.

God, make a fresh start in me, make a Genesis week from the chaos and ashes that have come to define my life.  don't throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me.  bring me back from gray and gloomy exile, put a fresh, new wind in my sails!  give me a job teaching other rebels your ways so the lost can find their way home.  commute my death sentence, God my salvation, and i'll sing anthems to your life-giving ways...i'll let loose with your praise!

going through the motions doesn't impress you, it doesn't please you...a flawless performance is nothing to you.  i learned real worship when my pride was shattered.  heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice

.

this Psalm was written by David after he'd been confronted by Nathan, the prophet, regarding David's sin with Bathsheba, and it seems after he's been convicted by the Holy Spirit of his sin.  what a beautiful picture of God's mercy, grace and forgiveness toward each of us.  what's going on in your life today? what's happening in your heart?  is there something God has been trying to get you to surrender, give up, give in to, change, repent of, admit?  forgiveness awaits.  his arms of love are open and waiting to embrace you.  no matter what.

No comments: